The SaferDisinfectants.org website is a special project of the Maryland Pesticide Education Network (MPEN). MPEN is a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to protecting the public and the environment from toxic pesticides and promoting healthy alternatives, since 1994.
Learn more about our mission of advancing system change toward a sustainable pesticide-free Chesapeake region, including:
- the Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in Health Care Facilities and Schools Project, which assists hospitals and schools in eliminating toxic pesticides, which often exacerbate illness in vulnerable patients and children; IPM prioritizes non-chemical pest/weed prevention and intervention with least-toxic pesticides only used as a last resort.
- our Pesticides and the Chesapeake Bay Watershed Project which facilitates collaboration with stakeholders on reducing pesticide adverse impacts on the Bay ecosystem;
- our Smart on Pesticides Coalition which advances safer pesticide policies and laws;
- the GoOrganicNow.org website that helps consumers "vote with their wallets and forks" by choosing organic lifestyle changes and driving market change;
- and many more resources at mdpestnet.org – including pesticide research, safer alternatives, a monthly newsletter, and ways to take action, please visit the website!
MPEN is deeply appreciative of Margie Roswell, the creator of SaferDisinfectants.org. Margie is a member of our 'Watershed' Project's Healthy Alternatives Working Group, and she saw a better way to present our research highlighting the dangers of registered-pesticide disinfectants that exacerbate the vulnerabilities and symptoms of respiratory illnesses. She created this first-in-the nation website to educate and help professionals and the public make safer disinfecting decisions during the pandemic, and beyond.
Margie builds interactive data visualization websites, including legislative scorecards, endorsement maps, and this site devoted to disinfectant safety. She is also a nutrition educator and the author of SugarWars.com and HealthyCampaign.org.
Bonnie does communications work, coalition/community building, research, lobbying, and public speaking on behalf of the Maryland Pesticide Education Network. She is also a beekeeper. For her work, she received the John V. Kabler Award for Environmental Leadership.
Software Engineer and Multimedia Artist with a certified Guinness World Record (for participation in the largest hackathon in the world). Adnan works in UI/UX design and implementation and has expertise in frontend CSS and JS frameworks and Content Management Systems.
Readul Hasan Chayan
Readul provided invaluable support to this project, building a software “plugin” to help customize our interactive list, and helping to develop the GitHub Action that powers our data.